Tri-State Wrestling 1967 - SPOT Ratings

I'm going to start our look at 1967 in the McGuirk territory by looking at the SPOT ratings I compiled for the year.

To refresh your memory (and for new visitors to the site), I have developed a statistic that measures a wrestler's average spot on the cards over time. I call it Statistical Position Over Time, or SPOT for short. SPOT is a number between .000 and 1.000. A SPOT of 1.000 means that the wrestler was always in the main event for the time period covered. A few notes about the calculations can be found beneath the ratings.






NOTES:

Babyfaces are highlighted in blue, heels in orange. Wrestlers who "switched sides" during the year are highlighted in gold.

This is based on data from 517 cards. I only use cards/data where I have seen the actual newspaper clipping (or program or other medium); in all cases, I have done the research myself through various online subscription sites or by visiting libraries (even if this means duplicating research that is already out there). SPOT ratings are calculated using the advertised lineup for the card; if I only have the results, I may use those.

I've divided the wrestlers into four categories: Main Eventers, Upper Mid-Card, Mid-Card and Lower Card. While the cutoffs for these categories are arbitrary, they are based on my thorough examination of all the cards while trying to make the cutoff points "nice" numbers. The cutoff points I used for 1967 are the same as in 1966.

It should be noted that many wrestlers not in the "Main Eventers" category were in main events during the year. With the territory running multiple towns per night and running towns weekly, there were always opportunities for wrestlers to be put in different spots on the card. The SPOT ratings represent an aggregate of all these individual bookings.

Wrestlers are only included if they have a certain number of bookings during the year. This number is not set in stone, as it can vary based on the total number of cards I have data for, but my general rule of thumb is they need to be booked at least a couple of nights a week for at least a couple of weeks.

The next several blog posts will offer up some brief biographical info on many of these wrestlers, plus give mention to some of the wrestlers who were booked to wrestle here during 1966 but did not meet the "minimum number of bookings" criteria, as well as women wrestlers and others that were considered special attractions at the time. You'll note that Haystack Calhoun, who usually came in to territories for a week or so as a special attraction, had two extended stints here during the year and is included in the SPOT ratings.


Popular posts from this blog

A Dog and a King: Looking at The Junkyard Dog's experiences in the wake of desegregation and assassination

Pacific Northwest 1979 Almanac